Food Network Star is my favorite show on television. Notice I didn’t say it’s the best show on TV. Even I understand the writing of New Girl or the drama of Game of Thrones blows FNS out of the water. But Food Network Star has everything, and this new season seems to be the best yet. Here’s why:
1. Characters to root for. Some people instantly standout. They have the elusive X factor making them memorable. This seasons, Ippy, comes to mind. I still love Justin from last season. I know he was boring in front of the camera, but the sheer eye candiness of him made him fun to watch. Food Network should consider bringing him back with a partner for a buddy duo show. Justin can cook and look pretty in front of the camera, and the other person can talk.
2. Characters to hate. Sorry, dude. yelling “Rock & Roll, “DOESN’T make you cool or rock and roll. Too bad Giada’s team won last night. I would’ve like to see him go.
3. Competition- As each person presents, I root for him or her (unless you’re yelling ‘Rock & Roll’) and then at the end one or two stand out.
4. The food, oh the food. Skills, and recipes. I love watching them crack eggs, dice veggies, etc,.. I always gain new cooking skills. I also love how creative they get with the ingredients.
5. Documentary- having Giada, Alton and Bobby as the team leaders this season only heightens the behind the scenes look at how a food show is made and how a network operates. Sometimes you have to squint to see it, but it’s there.
Are you watching Food Network Star this season? Or is there another reality show that has you glued?