Give a warm welcome to my cousin! She’s a bit younger than I am, but now that we’re both grown-ups the 5 year age gap is nothing and I’m thrilled she lives in my town!
1. Can you give a few sentences about your background- your job, your degrees, a brief history of how you ended up in the industry?
I’m currently a product manager in the educational technology industry. I love having a social mission career and became passionate about education as a volunteer in a K12 classroom. I’ve got an Industrial and Operations Engineering Degree from the University of Michigan (Go Blue!) and an MBA from MIT.
2. Were you interested in science/technology as a child?
I actually wanted to go to art school, but my parents thought engineering was a safer bet.
3. What’s it like being female in the tech/science industry? Any good stories?
There is a lot of opportunity for advancement since companies are always looking for qualified women. At my first two jobs, women were so scarce that I was often the only one in the room (and the youngest!) I remember trying to look older so that I would be taken seriously…then I hit 30.
4. Favorite famous nerd (fictional or otherwise)
5. Star Trek or Star Wars?
Neither, but at least I’ve seen Star Wars
6. Do you read/like romance novels?
Only Lynne Silvers!